You neever quite know what you are going to find on a minibeast safari. Guests staying at Springbank Cottage, our self catering holiday let in Elgol, have the use of a number of resources that form part of our environmental activities offer of which staging a minibeast safari is one.
What you can do
- Minibeasts are any small animal, spiders, slugs, snails, beetles centipedes, worms, earwigs, caterpillars and other fascinating creepy crawlies.
- Catch minibeasts by searching suitable habitat.
- Build a pitfall trap in the garden to catch minibeasts
Where to do it
- Minibeasts, especially insects, can be found almost anywhere.
- The garden has many flowering plants, trees and purposely left piles of decaying plant material and is a great place to conduct your minibeast safari.
- Search local woodlands, ponds and streams – details of where to go on the map in the activity room.
What we provide
- Materials to build your own pitfall trap
- Nets for pond dipping
- Catch pots/pooters
- Bug viewers, magnifying glasses and field lens
- ID guides and books
Advice about the activity
- Many minibeasts hibernate or spend the winter as eggs or pupae so best safaris will occur in spring and summer.
- The dark and damp conditions under rotting logs are very productive but put the log back after you’ve examined under it.
- Full instructions on building a pitfall trap and where to build it in the garden are provided.
Things to consider
- Minibeasts are delicate creatures and need sympathetic handling.
- If you can see the minibeast clearly enough to identify it then there is no need to handle it.
- Bees and wasps can sting.
- Return all minibeasts alive to the habitat where you collected them.
So, if you are thinking about a trip to Skye and you want more than just a “standard” holiday cottage, take a closer look. We hope you will be surprised by how much is on offer during a stay at Springbank Cottage.
Springbank Cottage self catering holiday accommodation that offers more
Read what our guests think of Springbank
Find out more about Springbank Cottage
Find out where we are
Check prices and availability.
Make an enquiry.